Saturday 5 April 2014

"Coz every night I have to say, goodbye..."~

Disclaimer: This isn't really a gig review, but rather some disjointed and sappy drivel partially about the gig but not entirely which would probably be better suited on my Livejournal, but whatever, let's ignore that and make this an exception. I'd like to think a little variety is always good. ;]

"Elliot Minor aren't that good." -April 2008

Back in 2007 when I first stumbled upon this band I had no idea how much they would come to mean to me. Even when I was already starting to fall hard for them I was persistant in dismissing them as a brief phase which I would only indulge in due to convenience at the time. Fast forward 7 years and 17 gigs and I find myself repeatedly cringing at the words above which I so harshly wrote in an early gig review which once featured on my MySpace (and it was actually a postive one at that!). No, I suppose they aren't technically impressive in the same way a band like Dream Theater is or anywhere near as history making as a band like Queen, but somehow they have cemented for themselves a place deep within my heart and really, that's all that actually matters, right?

Last weekend they played their '#EMonemoretime' shows in London by way of a final hurrah after almost 4 years on hiatus. I was only able to attend the second night of three (29.03.2014) due to limited funds and what-not, and while the show wasn't particularly grand or awe-inspiring or flawless even (you'd think 3 months would be enough time to re-learn the lyrics to a few songs), it still stirred something in me. I felt a sense of sentimentality I was sure I had forced out of myself at least in the last year and for a while I allowed myself to bask in blissful nostalgia. No, I didn't suddenly feel like a screaming teenage fangirl again, but I did find myself unintentionally smiling like an idiot every now and then throughout the night.

The setlist itself was mediocre, consisting of all the typical numbers and the intimate venue meant that there was very limited special effects (in fact, there was only one very cheeky smoke machine). Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, it was just a simple, raw gig, ideal for fans to appreciate the music without distraction.

[i know i shouldn't be blaming my inadequate photography on anything but my own lack of skill, but seriously, the lighting in the underworld sucks. way too much red and not enough lighting on anywhere other than center-stage.]


Whether or not this is truly the end for Elliot Minor remains to be seen. I for one, among many others I'm sure, have my doubts, especially seeing as how I recall overhearing just last summer Alex stating that they would never reform and now they're suddenly saying "maybe, you never know!". I've had a lot of happy and interesting memories and experiences over the years with these guys to thank as cause and source and regardless of what the future holds for EM, all I can say is that I am proud to have been a part of their history as a dedicated fan, and even though they randomly unfollowed me on Twitter for no good reason, I wish them all the best with whatever they decide. 



Highlights!
-watching a good portion of the show surrounded by thick smoke; ed m. was literally less than 2 metres in front of me and i swear i couldn't even see him! awesome! (note the heavy sarcasm)*
-finally getting to hear 'parallel worlds' as the closing song of the set once more (where it belongs, btw)
-having a fairly decent view of dan and ali, which has only happened for me once, maybe twice, before
-the first words spoken to me by ed m. being "i definitely remember you!", despite having not seen me in over 3 years and me not prompting for such a comment. seriously, what stupid thing did i do for such notoriety? i was too shocked and worried to ask at the time...**
-drunk brian leaving teeth marks in my skull and then suddenly swinging me around despite my usual utter dislike for my feet leaving the ground without warning
-getting to, only for the 6th time surprisingly, have a complete set of photos with the band, thus, meaning that i actually got to have one-on-one time with everyone, brief and chaotic as it was

 ... and finally...
Alex Davies (vocals, guitar), Ali Paul (keyboard), Dan Hetherton (drums), Ed Minton (vocals, guitar), Ed 'Teddy' Hetherton (bass), 
and Brian 'Puke' Parnell (guitar tech dude)




*not a complaint by the way, i was amused more than anything, though it did make taking decent photos near damn impossible...
**also not a complaint. in fact, i was and still am rather flattered. it's not every day an attractive (and, i suppose, somewhat famous) male vaguely acknowledges and recognises me, especially after such passing of time... xD

PS.: yes, i know the '2014' is slightly off-center, but i only noticed after i'd closed the photo editing site and could not be bothered to have to start again from scratch!
PPS.: just as a 'fun fact' the photos from 2008 and 2010 were taken in birmingham and oxford, respectively
PPPS.: and yes, i do realise that the title of this post is just sooo cheesy, but it had to be done! for those of you who don't know, it's a line taken from an elliot minor song called 'last call to new york city'.

No comments:

Post a Comment